Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Sunday, November 11, 2018

60m DX Newsletter by Joe, W8GEX - November 11,2018

Bouvet Island 3Y0I: If any of you know a team member of the upcoming 3Y0I Dxpedition please ask them about operating on 60 meters. The failed trip a few months ago had planned to operate our band. This would be the last chance in most of our lifetimes to work this new 60m country. If you do make contact, please keep me informed so I can follow up. Joe W8GEX

NEW COUNTRY - INDIA: reported by Aravind VU2ABS, Dragan 9A6W and Paul G4WMO. They say they now have the 60m band.
http://wpc.dot.gov.in/WriteReadData/userfiles/NFAP%202018.pdf

EA8, CANARY ISLANDS: Jay OH6CS, will be active as EA8/OH6CS from the Canary Islands between November 21-30. They plan to operate 60m. QSL via his home callsign, direct or LoTW. Visit his Web page at: http://oh6cs.fi/ea8.htm

5U – Niger: HB9AMO, Pierre, has announced his plans to operate from downtown Niamey in the CQ World Wide DX CW Contest, November 24-25, as 5U9AMO, and plans to operate 60 meters. He will be there from November 20 to December 3. Logs will be uploaded to Club Log every other day. QSL via M0URX and LoTW (after February 2019). www.hb9amo.net/5u9amo.php

RWANDA: Harald, DF2WO, will once again be active as 9X2AW from Kigali
Dates are Jan 1, 2019 to Nov. 14 QSL via M0OXO's OQRS.
73 Harald DF2WO

Laos XW4XR:
Perhaps of interest, I was able to work XW4XR Bruce on 60m FT8 (on 5357 around 1822 UTC). He also worked 5B3ALX. I’m not sure if he is a "known" operator on 60 as I’m relatively new myself.
Kind regards, Henry PG0DX

Report on Aruba:
I finished my new End-Fed (EFHW) for 60 + 30M! So 60M operation is planned during my 2 week holiday-style DXpedition to the island of Aruba, modes to be used will be SSB & FT8 on 80 ~ 10M including WARC + 60M using 2 EFHW's + 100W, both new antennas need to be tested/adjusted at our rental house/garden (taking my Mini60 analyzer with me ;-)) but spare transformers & radiators (40/20/10 + 30/17/12M) will be taken with us as luggage weight/room will allow!

Operations are planned from Saturday 17th November +/- 20:00 UTC until Thursday 29th November +/- 16:00 UTC (I will spot myself when QRV) first weekend probably mostly 80/60/40/20/15/10M, 2nd weekend (during CQWW-CW) mostly 60M + WARC!

I recently found this information on Facebook. I think we can conclude that 60M operations are officially allowed on the (Dutch) Caribbean Island of Curacao (PJ2)!

If you are interested in the 'English' document, this is the link:
https://www.btnp.org/files/Aanvraagformulieren/Afzonderlijk_Formulier_CUR/BTP001_DD_FORM_07_Radio_Amateurs_BL_EN.pdf
73 de Frank PH2M

Upcoming DXpeditions

RWANDA: 9X2AW Jan 1, 2019 to Nov 14, by Harald, DF2WO. QSL via M0OXO's OQRS.
(Many thanks to Joe, W8GEX for summary!)


73 - Petr, OK1RP

1 comment:

  1. GM to all, one of these days beforo the end of april I will be active on 60 m cw to NA as with a special call II5MPI. I will tx around 5353 + or - but I need to know what is the USA QRG on 60 for my split ?.
    Thank you and regard

    ReplyDelete