Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Sunday, August 14, 2011

CU - DXCC #21 on 60m

Hi all,

last week I was very delighted with getting an email from Eloy, CU3AK that his 60m band authorization arrived already...

"Hi Petr, I have received the authorization until the end of the year. The frequencies allowed are 5288.5 - 5371.5 - 5403.5 so I will call you on 5371.5 kHz and please give me the listen frequency. 73's Eloy, CU3AK"

I replied to Eloy immediatelly to congrats for getting the license for Tropical band again and we arranged the sked on 60m band. I will call on 5260 kHz on CW and I will be ready to listen Eloy's sigs on 5371.5 kHz CW/SSB around 21Z.

Well I was on the air on time but no sigs from Eloy. Just noise and sometime the QRM as usual. After few minutes I decided to call CQ on the FA channel w/QSX 5371.5 and wait until Eloy's call back. At the 21:10Z I began to be a bit nervous as I did not heard any sigs on the listenning frequency. Azores Isl. are not so far from me and using 100W into the Inverted Z dipole at 10m should be enough. I quickly checked the actual SN and SFI and also A/K indexes... All seemed to be ok and the radio blackout was not forecasted.

After another CQ I decided to tune up/dwn if I will hear atleast some weak sigs around or so. Wow, Eloy's sigs just 700Hz down were S8 and very clean. Eloy called me on CW > yes I am fool and had my K3 switched to USB and Eloy called me outside the narrow filter incidentally.

Well we exchanged reports and we made very nice QSO during next few minutes. Eloy's sigs were really nice and even tone was really beautiful. I suspect that Eloy is using TenTec tcvr...:)

I am so happy to say that my DXCC #21 is done by CU3AK, Eloy on 60 band from today (12-Aug-2011)

Thank You very much Eloy for Your effort to arrange the sked and for giving me new one on 60m band!

73 - Petr, OK1RP

No comments:

Post a Comment