Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Monday, December 26, 2011

V4 - DXCC #24 on 60m

Hi all,

the Oct-22 was for me very lucky. The conditions were good and although the QRM on the band was high the deep fading allowed me to work another DX.

Why QSB allowed me to work long distance QSO? Simply because the QRM source came from long distance area also (I guess) and deep swing caused the level of the QRM went down and up also. During that time when QRM faded down the signals from DX station sometime went down too but sometime it went in opposite phase. In that case I was able to read the signals from the DX station for few seconds.

That is what I utilized on Oct-22 nite during our QSO with John, V47JA. John had very nice signal over here but the main issue was QRM on the band as mentioned. After many trials I copied his signals very well during the deep fading of the QRM and I was able to complete the QSO on 60m band with him as my #24 DXCC.

My setup was again K3 from Elecraft just the AGC was OFF and NB ON (dsp t3-1 / IF NAR3) and internal preamp ON only. I changed the setting of the AGC as I realized the noise came dramatically down with turning OFF the AGC loop. I am not using my external low noise / high IMD preamp by W7IUV as it is under re-designing completely according to his web page http://w7iuv.com/.

Best regards,

73 - Petr, OK1RP

No comments:

Post a Comment