Welcome to Tropical band

To most people the phrase "tropical bands" bring a pretty clear picture to mind - a bunch of shirtless guys playing calypso music. But to experienced shortwave DXers those two little words express the most challenging and enjoyable part of the radio hobby. The phrase kindles memories of a DXer's best catches and favorite QSLs, of exotic stations, music and of early morning listening sessions. (Don Moore)
I like the "Tropical band" name for new 60m allocation. (OK1RP)

Effective from 1st Jan 2017 please paper QSL via OM-bureau only.


Thursday, February 29, 2024

PJ5 - Saba & St. Eustatius Isl. on 60m by Rudi, DK7PE

Hi folks,

27Feb24 Rudi left his last QTH at Anguilla and moved to Saba & St. Eustatius Isl. For the first time he built his antennas and appeared on the 30m as usual. Also, I found some spot on the HF bands, so I watched him impatiently on 60m.

Finaly at the midnight Rudi came to 60m band CW and called on 5353kHz up2 as PJ5/DK7PE/P. Sorry to listeners at that time as I forgot to switch ON my XIT at the beginning and my first call was on the same frequency...:) 

His signal was a bit weak here in EU this nite but I used my LoG external RX antenna on the garden with small pre-amp to copy him more comfortable and after few calls I got him as my DXCC #101 on 60m band CW only. Wow Rudi, you made my day!

Post from Rudi's web:

Feb.: 28th.: Meeting Janusz on his wire antenna farm on Sint Eustatius Island. After several trips to PJ5 he knows the best place to operate from. He chooses a very remote location on the east coast, only 200m to the sea and no neighbors at all - lots of space for all kind of antennas, pure HF, no QRM. Janusz is on DX peditions since forty years now and he knows how to build antennas. What he is using here is the result of 40 years experimenting during his journeys. Of course, we compared my 15m J-pole with his quad elements. His Quad element outperformed my J-pole by one to two S-units! 

Janusz, PJ5/SP9FIH antennas (Photo by DK7PE, The DK7PE Homepage)

It proved horizontal antenna has an advantage over a vertical. Tomorrow, we will continue our test when I use a vertical J-Pole right from the salty water... As the house has two spacy apartments and Janusz had no objections, I took the second apartment. I will do CW, while Janusz on SSB and FT8. By the way, I just finished a pileup on 60m with very good signals from EU. At the moment (01:00 UT) the band is quiet, so I wait for the sunrise in EU...


73 - Petr, OK1RP
.../-.-

No comments:

Post a Comment